Monday, January 25, 2016

One Step Closer...

Well we're geting there--almost ready for streaming and posting videos. Tonight was our intro session to an online 5e campaign. Not even sure if the sessions from this group will be recorded and edited for youtube, or eventually streamed live, but we took the opportunity to test a few things out.

So the good news, we've got a pretty good omni-/multi-directional mic that should easily pick up all the players at our table for a board game.

The bad news, I'm not sure camstudio is going to be the best recording program. First off, I still can't get it to record mic & speakers together. I got my mic input to play through my speakers, but it would still only pick up the mic. Played w/ some settings (also disconnected my headset, working on a laptop btw w/ built in cam/mic as well), and eventually got it to record speakers only. So I moved over to the table, muted my mic, and 3 of us used the good mic mentioned above. My sound settings are still all sorts of screwed up though. Also, the camstudio window at some point disappeared, although the flashing corners indicating my screen cap field were still active. Eventually, I pulled the window up through my notification area of the taskbar. It looked like it had already stopped recording, but recording data was still showing and I was able to stop. It took quite a while to save, but eventually I got the option. An error popped up stating the audio had been saved seperately. Now, my main file won't play and appears to be corrupt. I seem to still have my temp files but they also won't play (actually maybe the audio does). I think if we can merge them it will work though...

May need to find a new program if we want to do D&D. Definitely need something that will do screen cap, but also need to set an independant field as I'm not sure if this will be a single or multi-window view yet. It would be preferable to support simultaneous audio recording from my mic and speakers though, as I/whoever is recording may not always be able to share another mic. We're not exactly looking to invest in programs right now either, which makes things tricky. Also, I'm not sure what our tableop set up will actually be. I may not need a screen cap program where I can set a specific field to record, especially if we can get our mic and my sony handycam (hey, it was free!) to sync up and provide all the audio and video we need...the question will be how many cam feeds do we need/want for a board game? Currently the debate is between just one showing the whole table (unsure of angle, either top down to show playing space only or angled to get a good view of play space plus players/player areas), multiple (probably 2) cams to show a good view of the play space and probably player areas, or one cam for the board and one on each player (face/hand/tableau depending on game).

If you know how to fix the camstudio issues, have other recording software recommendations (general, twitch/live specific, screen cap w/ simultaneous speaker &mic support, etc.), or have a specific request for the board game live streaming visual arrangements (any of the above or another), let us know in the comments! Your knowledge and opinions are always helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment